Kahoot in the EFL Classroom
|Language skills fomented with Kahoot|
Type of questions
|Question on amounts in dollars|
|Question on countries and their capital cities|
|Question on providing the appropriate answer for a question|
Embed images and videos
PS: You can set the amount of seconds you want to use for the questions. You have to have the images you are going to use on your hard drive already.
|Using an image to get the attention of visual learners|
|Using videos from YouTube to work on listening skills|
- #GlobalClassrooms. Classrooms (teachers and students) around the world can interact with one another thanks to the help of technology through screensharing tools such as Google Hangouts, Skype or Appear.in.
- Survey. The students' level of confidence on a certain topic can be measured through this feature.
- Informal diagnostic tests. A set of quizzes can be created to formatively assess students at the beginning, middle and end of a topic.
- Encourage reflection. And discussion when analyzing the (in)correctness of an answer promoting critical thinking at the same time.
- Introduce a class. And even finish it with a short Kahoot session is always encouraging for students.
- Ghost mode. This is a fairly new feature which allows students to beat their own scores and beat their classmates scores, and finally grasping the content being taught in a fun way.
- Student-made quizzes. Students are given the chance to be the designers of the quizzes going from learners to researchers, leaders and creators challenging their own classmates.
Steps for creating a Kahoot
There are just three simple steps for creating a Kahoot. Have a look at the images below:
- Create a sample kahoot to try out the interface with students.
- Make sure you have a reliable broadband Internet connection.
- Avoid overuse. Save it for special moments.
- Not enough devices? Group students!
- Regrouping teams frequently to avoid hostility from one another.
- Create your kahoots here https://getkahoot.com/
- Play kahoots here https://kahoot.it
- More ideas and updates http://blog.getkahoot.com/
- Find my slides here http://www.slideshare.net/maperezramos/kahoot-a-gamebased-formative-assessment-tool
- Watch my webinar for BELTA here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYdO3iFPIWc